Saturday, October 8, 2011

THE ORIGIN OF SHABBY CHIC - Dedicated to my Beautiful Mum!

I am not sure where my passion for Shabby Chic comes from, but I know it is deep within my soul - I sometimes feel it is a love from my late and dear mother who was the sweetest mother, wife & grandma to her grandchildren you could ever hope for.  She always had time for us and not enough for herself.  She loved to be at home doing all the things a diligent and dedicated housewife would do - cooking, sewing, crocheting, knitting and loving us all the time !  Many nights would be spent in the lounge as a family talking as she sat their lovingly knitting or crocheting something for someone.  She loved keeping home as neat as a pin, but it was not a display home - it was home!  Her parents were English and she always had a passion for the old English & it's history, even though, because of her early passing at the young age of 59, she could not live her dream to follow that passion & personally trace back to their roots.  I was however able to live that dream for her a few years ago and retraced some of her roots in Surrey Region - England and further.  At that time my husband & I also ventured to Paris where my love for the real French furnishings and particularly their love for life lifestyle began.  I was touched by their compassion to live each moment and I felt the history coming through as a lesson in their lives to make peace and love for the simple things of life.  Their pride shone through in their surroundings as they shared their parks and monuments of stories gone by.  The saying 'Paris is the City of Love' is not just a common saying in my heart anymore, but rather a feeling deep in my soul of an imbedded love the french people have for their country and it's origin and the continued care and compassion they also have to keep it that way - it is a pride outstanding to many and an appreciation of life itself.  I guess I feel my love for "Shabby Chic" goes deeper than I realized after thinking about it and it is not a trend but a God given 'Passion from my Heart'!  

 I dedicate this to my beautiful Mum who spent her life teaching me what she could but most of all who gave me a love deeper than the ocean for the simple things of life - to follow your heart and be real to yourself!

Quoted from -

http://www.greengingergallery.com/shabby-chic_i11.aspx

What is Shabby Chic?

Shabby ChicShabby Chic is a form of interior design where furniture and furnishings are either chosen for their age and signs of wear and tear or new items are distressed to give an aged appearance .......
In addition to the fact that shabby chic items can be new, creating this decor also involves coordination. The same basic elements of design still must be maintained when decorating in this style. Although the items may be worn and old looking, they should still complement one another and work together to create an overall pulled together look in the room. Only then will you have effectively pulled off this distinguished design style ......
Shabby ChicThe quintessence of shabby chic style is vintage and antique furniture painted and distressed for an aged, vintage appearance. The style is imitated in faux painting using glaze or by painting then rubbing and sanding away the top coat to show the wood or base coats ......
Fabrics tend to be cottons and linen and desired colours tend to be whites, vintage creams and soft subtle worn or bleached out pastels like muted greys, pale pinks and faded green, these all have a place in a Shabby Chic Interior ......

Shabby Chic History

Shabby ChicThe early forms of shabby chic were rather grand, but the style has progressed taking inspiration from many forms of decoration. These range from 18th century Swedish painted decoration, the French Chateau as well as the American Shakers where simplicity and plainness was essential ......
Shabby Chic is also a general term which can be used to refer to a person who is stylish rather than fashionable, where their style reflects quality as opposed to newness ......

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for visiting us and following Red Rose Alley. My daughters love Paris also. They went there a couple of years ago, and it really changed their lives. Your blog is so pretty, and I will be back to visit with you. Oh, I loved what you said about your mom...so beautiful. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to mention...your profile didn't show a link to your blog. Luckily, I found your blog. I wasn't sure if you knew that.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete